Forest School Vision
To enable every pupil to have the opportunity to develop an inquisitive and positive relationship with the natural world. Increasing confidence, self-esteem and respect in preparation for an ever-changing world, and providing a holistic approach to learning through opportunities for challenge, risk-taking, and social development.
Forest School Aims
- To provide an opportunity for individuals to develop their character, resilience, confidence and independence.
- To provide a safe and non-threatening environment in which children can take risks, make choices and initiate their own learning.
- To help children understand, appreciate and care for the natural environment.
- To provide a learning environment that promotes mental and physical wellbeing.
- To provide an environment that promotes spiritual awareness and creative thinking.
- To provide ways of developing practical life skills in an outdoor environment.
- To develop a positive disposition to learning through the completion of small, achievable tasks.
- To provide opportunities to develop team working skills.
- To enable children to be independent, self-motivated and considerate.
- To help each child build self-control and interpersonal skills.
All year groups have Forest School timetabled as an essential part of their curriculum – Reception attend daily; Year 1 & 2 Weekly; and Years 3-6 Fortnightly. Sessions are led by the Class Teachers and our qualified Forest School Leads: Mrs Ellen Nilsen-Grahame and Miss Sarah Porter.
As part of our uniform policy, children are required to have suitable weatherproof clothing and wellies in school for these sessions as we attend whatever the weather!